Monday, April 6, 2009

Another of our 9 Rhone Varietals: Mourvèdre

In the fall of 2008, we harvested the first fruit from our estate vineyard. Among the most promising was the Mourvèdre, from five acres on the south end of the property. The yield was extremely low – it turns out that starlings like Mourvèdre almost as much as I do – but the wine that resulted from that small amount of fruit will provide backbone and depth to our very first Estate Red blend.

Historically, Mourvèdre has been planted in the south of France, especially in Bandol, where it makes killer rosés (think Tavel) and earthy, rustic reds. The variety originated in Spain (it’s known there as Monastrell) where it thrives on the hot, dry summers and ripens dark and strong. Its delayed spring budding and late ripening, coupled with its love of heat, make it almost ideally suited to California’s Paso Robles region, where it has recently enjoyed a surge in popularity. At Edward Sellers, we love it for its bold structure, fleshy tannins, and meaty, slightly funky aroma. Mourvèdre is featured in a number of our blends, including our flagship Cuvée des Cinq and our unmistakably easy drinking Cognito. For the 2007 vintage, we’ve even created a 100% Mourvèdre to showcase the unique character of this variety. I know you will enjoy it! Amy Butler, Winemaker

1 comment:

artemisandollie said...

I do! I do! Golly, I can not tell you how satisfying your Cognito is and you are on. the . nose with the "funky" descriptor. I drank my glass tonight with some black truffle cheese I fished out of the refrigerator; a leftover from my trip to Brooklyn, months ago. Mold sliced off, it was a delightful companion. Thanks for making such kick ass, luminous wine.